Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I am a speech-language pathologist!



….because at first, I needed a speech-language pathologist to speak better. I hope I am always communicating clearly and effectively with those I serve. 

….because I have a set of skills and tools, that can help some people in need do some amazing things. Let me try everyday to keep my skills finely honed, and responsive to the needs of all my customers and stakeholders. 

….because of the research and clinical advancements of my forebears and peers, I find even more lightning bolts at my fingertips for those I serve. Give me the energy and vision to leave some nugget of clinical riches for the next generation of professionals. 

 ….because my customers make me proud often, at how much better they assert themselves for a better life. Can I keep showing them that ‘moxie’ is not just a cola brand in the Northeast US?

….because there are family, friends, and neighbors who can become heroes for my customers when there is a need. I pray that if or when these advocates ask for help to give my customers, I have it. 

….because our society has room for everyone to live, work, recreate and participate in its functions. Can you name some of the ways your community can be made more accommodating to persons with communication, cognition and swallowing problems?

….because communication* is a complicated process that allows legions of science enthusiasts like me to get our geek on, when doing research and helping our customers. Let me keep on exploring, innovating, hypothesizing and discovering new ways to help. 

….because communication is essential across all domains of humanity, the clinical professional needs to get along with and learn from all kinds of people. Help me at a small scale, affect humanity BIG. 

....because as it is for traumatic brain injury, it is for everything else we deal with: "the only cure is prevention". Let's develop activities, products and societies that prevent communication disorders.

….because when we communicate we will “only connect”. Wanna connect? 

* in the interest of clarity and space, “communication” is used to stand for ‘communication, cognition and swallowing’.

2 comments:

  1. Your credentials do not appear under the about me section

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will find them now. Thanks for pointing that out. BTW Your credentials are....?

    ReplyDelete