Sunday, March 12, 2017

Lead Every Day

Thanks go to Walter Isaacson, author of THE INNOVATORS, for an inspiration to this final post in the blog series, "In Case Sally Is Right". Isaacson described in his book, the triumvirate leadership of Intel Corporation as an example of great qualities necessary to effectively lead a group. Noyce, Moore and Grove were portrayed in the book as the big picture visionary, the inspiring scientist and the disciplined project manager, respectively. Wouldn't you really rather be led by just one of them? I wonder if leadership training in our field of speech-language pathology, can encompass all those traits.

Our 2016 national convention had leadership as its theme, and one perspective on leadership was offered by the Convention co-chair for SLP: "Leadership is always a team sport". That is to say, being your best at leading people is a product of the quality of the group you are allowed to lead. I can buy into this concept, for the reason that my best work teams have always  made me look very good. I think there is a middle ground, or synthesis of all the best qualities of leaders, that gives all of us in the CSD field, from undergraduate observer to seasoned researcher, leaders and trendsetters in what we do.

On the surface this seems counter-intuitive;  how can I lead? I barely know what I'm doing! That was the initial reaction I had during the first week of rehearsal, the summer the USA School Band and Chorus toured the UK. The late Col. Arnald Gabriel, Conductor of the US Air Force Band, told us after we struggled to master a symphonic piece, "You're PROFESSIONALS! Play like it!". My Spider Sense, my crap detector and my obsessive geek mind - they all screamed in my head, 'Colonel! No!!'. But soon, I knew what he meant.

 Professionals master their work and become a priest(ess) of its mysteries. Leaders learn to see the way to success, break down and highlight the steps to success, then set out on a relentless push to that success. All of us in the field of CSD are primed to be leaders, and there are steps to be taken for us to grow in leadership skills:

* Study. Read, take courses, attend talks and lectures, and learn from people who discuss in depth you need to learn the competencies for leadership.

* Listen. Watch. Who are the models of leadership skills whom you admire? What do the good leaders you have known over your life span -what do they have in common?

* Dare. See those opportunities to share the big picture, to have the mechanics for bringing solutions to problems, and guide your peers, your persons and their stakeholders to the finish line.

"Everyday leadership. Lead, every day".  How'd I do, Sally Brown?








No comments:

Post a Comment