Saturday, December 5, 2015

Bag o' tricks

I feel I need to preface all my blog posts with a caveat; with a dead skunk in the middle of the road, or even an "objects may be larger than they appear" warning. When I talk about clinical practice, I speak with the confidence one has after decades of working with - predominantly - adults. Even though I have paid my dues in public school (K-12), preschool and community/residential DD and university settings, it is the folks within the age span from 21-99+ years that have captivated me, clinically. OK. Enough!



Many times I need a special material, or small piece of equipment that can yield data I need to make decisions. The material or equipment is not a capital expense. An SLP will never make enough! But you can't wait, or rather - your person served can't wait to have the advantage you see with this small purchase. Bottom line: impaired communication, as we have seen on many levels in this world, is the compost for evil. To fight evil, you need the right tools.

 
This all started for me, when I took a job for a senior living corporation that provided no work space for the therapy staff. None! There were invariably, needs for my 'wonderful toys' but no place to keep them. Since I ultimately visited eight different buildings in eight communities with this job, the tools needed to travel. Ergo, the bag of tricks.



But, what's in it? Here is a list of what is in my bag today. It grows and evolves. What is in your bag of tricks, clinicians? Please share when you can. Who knows what Santa might bring, to add to your bag of tricks.

 
Opening the bag we see - oh yeah, thank you Ziploc! -

* toy wind instruments (from the party store): harmonica, slide whistle, kazoo; most used? Kazoo!
* toothbrushes for kids
* plastic eating utensils (from take out meals)
* thin plastic balloons
* sugar free Life Savers (individually wrapped), assorted flavors bagged with a box of waxed mint dental floss
* Life Savers GUMMIES - assorted flavors and sugared but, hey, whatever works -
* liquid water enhancer, various flavors
* a package of poker size playing cards
* pen light + otoscope
* a strong and durable pen light - I like the Mag Lite, and preferably in an outrageous color so it's hard to misplace
* individually wrapped tongue depressors
* stereo headphones
* Radio Shack Stereo Amplified Listener w/ 3 band equalizer; SKU #3301097
* stethoscope
* 9 volt, AA and AAA batteries
* quartz electronic metronome
* bottle of bubble soap with wand (lid on tight)
* foam oral swabs
* drierase markers
* assorted pens and pencils
* bottle of hand sanitizer
* infrared thermometer 
* pulse oximeter
* wrist BP cuff

In the grand tradition of SLP's being cost-conscious, creative and indefatigable foragers, I give you the bag of tricks. BUT - get your own!








No comments:

Post a Comment